Here is a whole list of reading challenges for 2012 for your perusing pleasure!
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge… go here to sign up!
Runs January 1, 2012 – December 31, 2012.
- Anyone can join.
- You don’t need a blog to participate.
- Non-Bloggers: Post your list of books in the comment section of the wrap-up post on Jamie’s blog.
- Audio, eBooks, paper, re-reads all count.
- No need to list your books in advance. You may select books as you go. Even if you list them now, you can change the list if needed.
There are four levels:
- The Mini YA Reading Challenge – Read 12 Young Adult novels.
- The “Fun Size” YA Reading Challenge – Read 20 Young Adult novels.
- The Jumbo Size YA Reading Challenge – Read 40 Young Adult novels.
- The Mega size YA Reading Challenge – Read 50+ Young Adult novels.
So how do you decide what state a book is categorized under?
1. In a fiction read it would be the State or Country that the book spends the most time in. (ie: If your main character is from Wisconsin but the book is all about his/her time in college in California – the book should categorize under California.)
2. Non fiction reads categorize in whatever State or Country it is about. (ie: a book about fly fishing in Colorado is a Colorado point, and a book about women in Afghanistan is an Afghanistan point.)
3. If the book goes from one state to another, go with the state that most of the time is spent.
How to get started:
Set up a map under Google Maps. It is easy to do! Every time you read a book in 2012, upload a cover picture to Picasa Web Albums (there may be other sites to use, feel free to use what works best for you). (You don’t have to use the map but it is a fun way to see “where” you have read!)
For those who have covered the 50 states by the end of 2012, they will go into a drawing for a $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble or to Amazon. **All other areas beyond the 50 states are bonus points and we will have a drawing using random.org for those who read 10 or more books throughout 2012 in that category.
Welcome to 2012 TBR PILE Reading Challenge!
- This challenge will run from Jan 1, 2012 – Dec 31, 2012.
- As we would like to see quality reviews linked up to our monthly wrap-ups, only bloggers can enter. Sorry about that!
- Any genre, length or format of book counts, as long as it is a book that’s been sitting on your shelf for some time now. Only books released in 2011 and earlier! NO ARCs and 2012 fresh-off-the-press releases allowed!
- You can list your books in advance or just put them in a wrap-up post. If you list them, feel free to change them as the mood takes you.
- When you sign up in the linky, put the direct link to your post about joining the 2012 TBR PILE Reading Challenge (You need to include the info + host list + challenge button. You can also grab the button code and add it to your sidebar!)
- You can move up levels, but no moving down.
- Sign-ups will be open until Dec 15, 2012, so feel free to join at any time throughout the year.
- At the end of each month one of the hosts will post a wrap-up. Every wrap-up will have it’s unique theme, a mini-challenge, a giveaway and place for you to link up your reviews from this month. For each review you link up, you will get one entry in a drawing of one book of choice from Book Depository. It’s open to INTERNATIONALS. For participating in the mini-challenge you will get +1 entry.
- If you miss a wrap-up post + giveaway, you can link up your reviews next month. Do not, however, try to link up one review twice – we will be checking 😉
- December is a wrap-up for the whole year. All the book reviews you linked up January-November + the ones you’ll link up in December will be entered into a HUGE giveaway – 12 books, 12 winners, INTERNATIONAL.
- You don’t have to follow all the hosts to join the challenge, but you do have to follow all of us to be entered in giveaways!
1-10 – A Firm Handshake
11-20 – A Friendly Hug
21-30 – A Sweet Kiss
31-40 – Love At First Sight
41-50 – Married With Children
Evie from Bookish – http://www.evie-bookish.blogspot.com @SeoEvie
Nicole from All I Ever Read – http://www.nicoleabouttown.com/ @Nicoleabouttown
Bonnie from Hands and Home – http://www.handsandhome.ca/
Donna from Book Passion For Life – http://bookpassionforlife.blogspot.com/ @BookPforLife
Caitlin from WatchYA Reading – http://whatchyareading.net
Rie from Mission To Read – http://missiontoread.com/
Vicky from Books, Biscuits & Tea –http://booksbiscuitsandtea.blogspot.com/ @alouetteuette
Christa from Hooked On Books – http://christashookedonbooks.blogspot.com
Jenna from Fans Of Fiction – http://fansoffiction.blogspot.com/ @fansoffiction
Angel from Mermaids Vision – http://mermaidvision.wordpress.com @mermaidvisions
Want to challenge yourself to read outside your comfort zone in 2012?
Like science fiction but tend to put off reading it?
Are you a total geek but never really take the time to read?
If you answered yes to any of the above, sign up for the 2012 reading challenge now! The idea is to read one sci-fi book each month, however, we all have different reading speeds so set yourself a number that you feel comfortable with. Hosted by Curiosity Killed the Bookworm. Go here to sign up.
There’s more to science fiction than aliens and spaceships. The dictionary definition is: fiction dealing principally with the impact of actual or imagined science on society or individuals or having a scientific factor as an essential orienting component. So that includes dystopias, zombie viruses, genetic engineering gone awry, time travel, steampunk, extreme weather, space exploration and, of course, aliens.
That’s OK. As long as you are willing to write some words about the book on a publicly accessible site (eg. Goodreads, personal blog) you can join in. If you’re not sure where you’ll be posting you can sign up with a social network account.
Yes, each book you read will get you an entry into some great giveaways throughout the year. (I love a challenge with prizes!)
The Reading Romances Challenge is not about the amount of books you read, but the variety of titles you’ll have read when the challenge is over! Our goal is to read a bit of everything related to romance and open our minds to new genres we wouldn’t usually read.
- The 2012 Reading Romances Challenge will run from Jan 1, 2012 – Dec 31, 2012.
- Anyone can join, you don’t need to have a blog. Feel free to sign-up in the comments – you can post reviews to any book site (i.e. Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, Goodreads, Librarything, Shelfari etc).
- I’ll post a list of romance sub-genres and a few cool themes for you to choose from each month (you can read all of them or just a couple).
- You can list your books before reading them (by leaving a comment on the post with the topics for that month) or just put them in a wrap-up post. If you list them, don’t feel obligated to read them, changes are welcomed!
- When you sign up in the linky, put the direct link to your post about joining the Reading Romances Challenge. If you don’t have a blog, please link it to the page where you post your reviews (Goodreads, Shelfari, Amazon etc).
- You don’t have to participate every month, but please try to!
- Sign-ups will be open until Dec 15, 2012, so feel free to join at any time throughout the year.
- I will never tell you to read one specific author, but I might suggest a few titles and authors to give you some ideas.
- You can read the same author more than once and the books can be old or new, but they must be read during the course of the challenge.
- Books used in this challenge may be used in other challenges.
- Books can be in any format – paper, audio, ebook.
- Post the button to post on your sidebar, this way others can find their way back to this post and join in the fun!
At the beginning of each month there will be a roundup post for you to add your reviews for that month. If you forget, feel free to add your reviews in the following month. It can be something simple and short, please don’t worry about it!
There will also be random giveaways during the year for everyone who is actively participating on the challenge. There might be special giveaway by the end of the year for those who read all (or most of) the topics during each month . If you are an author and want to contribute with prizes, please contact me.
Welcome to the original Audio Book Challenge formerly hosted by Alaine at Queen of Happy Endings. This challenge is for Audio Book lovers as well as those who are brand new to them.
I’ve been listening to your feedback and I’m convinced that the 2012 challenge is going to be better than ever. There will still be targets for achievement, but I’m raising them a bit since many of our participants are avid audio book listeners.
Once again, there are four levels to the challenge
- Flirting-Listen to 6 Audio Books
- Going Steady- Listen to 12 Audio Books
- Lover- Listen to 25 Audio Books
- Married-Listen to +++ Audio Books
“Owning a copy of Shakespeare’s complete works had me wondering the best way I could get myself to read the entire book. I have studied only about six or seven of Shakespeare’s plays from school through college, and there have been many others that I’ve wanted to read but have been a bit hesitant about tackling on my own. So, I figured, the best way to read Shakespeare’s plays and to read it with others, was to have a read-along. Hence Reading Shakespeare: A Play a Month in 2012 was born.A poll held from 01 November 2011 till 01 December 2011 determined the 12 plays we would be reading in 2012.”
Listing the plays for 2012:
January — A Midsummer Night’s Dream
February — Macbeth
March — Henry V
April — Much Ado About Nothing
May — Antony and Cleopatra
June — Richard III
July — As You Like It
August — King Lear
September — Cymbeline
October — Twelfth Night
November — Othello
December — Pericle
I am definitely doing this challenge. I love Shakespeare. I read Macbeth for the first time when I was in the 4th grade and have been in love with Will Shakes ever since. I am looking forward to reading a play a month and I’ve actually not read a couple of the ones that have been chosen.
There are still a ton of other challenges out there. You can use your favorite search engine (I personally use Swag Bucks because I earn free gift cards to Amazon and Barnes & Noble) and search 2012 reading challenges. Happy reading!